Monday, March 17, 2008

Paschal Mystery

May the glory of his death and resurrection be with you!
As I was reading over and over again the letter of St Paul to the Philippians (2:6-11) “Christ Jesus, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. Rather, he emptied himself…he humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross…,” I’m deeply moved by Christ’s love through the foolishness of the cross. What a perfect reading to reflect on as I enter into Holy Week…
I know Jesus loves me. I mean, he really loves me. He doesn't love me because he has to. He loves me because he loves me. He loves my company, my voice, my faults, and my smiling face. He loves me so much that he willingly “emptied himself…death on a cross” for me. He has every power in the world to do anything. In addition, he chose to stop at nothing to show me that he loves me. He'll even get me in a corner so that I am desperate and have no choice but to look up into His face and to notice it there. No other reason than LOVE. You can say that I’m crazily loved by Jesus. On the contrary, I often don’t understand the mystery of death on the cross. It frightens me. The frailties of my brothers and sisters whom I’m called to be in communion with are very disturbing to me. Criticisms are hard to swallow and I don’t see or feel his love. St Paul, on the other hand, understands an image of God who makes himself small and powerless out of love. He welcomed it, animated it, and felt it in every pore of his being. Therefore, he embraces the cross because it is a way in which God shows his love and surrenders to the Paschal Mystery of Christ. It’s the Pauline way. I too want to feel what the Apostle felt. I must not reject it but accept it as it is. I can’t do it in one big step. However, I can take baby steps to be in great peace and serenity as I allow the Holy Spirit to guide me into death and resurrection.
Entering into the Holy Week, let’s embrace the Paschal Mystery as the Apostle Paul did because it’s the only way to experience love and to live the fullness of life.
Take care and until next time…

No comments: