Monday, March 3, 2008

"Christ lives in me"

May His peace be with you!
Have you ever been in a situation where someone doesn’t know you well but has a say in your future? You may not have a clue of things they assumed about you and you aren't given a chance to express your thoughts. Then, your world is turned upside down because of these assumptions. You feel God is not even there for you. Part of you is dying and another part is still hoping somehow everything will make sense in the end. While you’re in this mess, you wish you won't have to face this person ever again. However, God in his mercy doesn’t let you go without his graces. He opens his tricks...
Just this past weekend, I had an experience that challenged me to put to death my old self and to make “Christ live in me”. It challenged me to truly live in the Pauline spirit. In the midst of thousands and thousands of people at the Anaheim Convention Center, I met A.P. whom I would rather not have encountered or spoken to for as long as possible. A.P is with a group of people who didn't give me a fair chance to express myself years ago. My heart was broken and I had been in the dark for a long time. God, in his mercy, gave me two choices: 1) I can react according to my former pagan lifestyle or 2) I can react as St Paul did. My ego wanted to give her a cold shoulder and to go on with my business. However, I knew who I was and to whom I belonged and I’m not stupid. (Ignorance: if you don’t know it's okay; stupid: you know it's wrong but you still do it.) I hesitated for a while then I chose the Pauline way which is to reject a selfish mentality and to immerse myself in Christ by sending her a cheerful greeting and a big welcome hug. In that instant, I knew God's invitation to me was not only dealing with external changes in my lifestyle, but the radical transformation of my whole being: replace myself with Christ. Next thing I knew I offered her my lunch and helped her around the exhibit area. I normally don't offer food to people that I don't know or have a conflict with. I just knew that I had to give her my food which represents a sign of reconciliation. She must take it in order to complete this ritual and she did. We lived, breathed, and received communion in the Pauline spirit for a good number of years. I didn't think that she would be an easy person to be a friend with until this weekend--she suddenly is so friendly and less superior. I don't know if she has changed over the years but I'm certain that Christ was with me. I truly enjoyed her company and I hope our paths will meet again soon.
I am thanking God for all his graces bestowed on me this weekend. We’re in training at the school of the Master. Therefore, my prayer for us is that we may have the grace to continue to work on this without interruption, everyday until it is ‘Christ living in us’.
Take care and until next time...

No comments: