Monday, April 7, 2008

Rooted in the Church

May our Risen Lord's grace be with you!

It has been one of my mother’s rules that we’ve dinner together three times a week since we all became adults. Dining together is time to enjoy my mother’s cuisines, to share our hardships or joys, to play our games, and to be together as a family. No one can miss it unless it’s a real good excuse. As my youngest sister was walking out the door, my mother said to her, “It doesn’t matter how you get home after the game as long as you’ll be home on time for dinner.” Because I was on a spiritual reflective mood, I took her words and began…

Based on my mother’s words, my youngest sister could take any form of transportation to get home. Whatever she chose, she just had to make sure that she would be on time for dinner to make my mother happy and us too. That was the end of the story. As I was reflecting on my vocation in the Church in view of the Pauline spirituality for the last couple years, I didn’t see any other form of transportation to take me home except through Jesus Christ. I couldn’t go home if I am not living in the Church and in union with Christ in the footsteps of the Apostle Paul and his teachings. Embedding himself with the original Jesus, he is a great ‘model’ for me to follow. Influenced by my big ego, it had been a challenge for me to replicate the whole Christ in me. I had been torn between good and bad. I probably didn’t take enough time to sit or to wait for the Holy Spirit to act. I quickly reacted on everything and anything when it damaged my big ego. I believe I was insecure; therefore, I wanted to control of my own life. As a result, I let God’s precious gift, my vocation, pass by me. In God's mercy, he didn’t give up on me. He gives His Word to believe in, His examples to follow, and His life to live. Christ is the Way to go home. It’s the only and unique Way. Belonging to the Church is also where I let myself be guided because the Church communicates Jesus’ Truth to me. In the Church I’m living Jesus’ Life and allowing 'Christ lives in me'.
As the Apostle said to the Ephesian community (1:7-10), "In him we have redemption...in all wisdom...to sum up all things in Christ,” I’m called to simply live Jesus, to graft onto Jesus like St Paul did, and to give Jesus to the world. So, Jesus: Way, Truth, and Life may be made known to many more people; it’s the core of my calling as someone who desires to possess more of the Pauline spirit. As a Pauline in spirit I don't know where to learn the truth and to be guided by the truth rather than in St Paul's teachings and in the Church. I've come to understand that only in the Church can I receive all the means of sanctification. Yes, I'm confident to say that the Pauline spirit is rooted in the mystery of the Church and no where else. Don't you agree?
Take care and until next time…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Paulinespirit, for the depth of love for the Pauline spirit that you live and share. You are in my prayers!!
Have a Jesus-filled day!